(Edited March, 2019)
Social Bookmarking for Free Web Traffic
What is Social Bookmarking?
Social bookmarking is a technique by which people store, organize, search, and manage web pages for easy access later. People use social bookmarking websites to save, organize, retrieve, and share the informations they find interesting.
Users save links to web pages that they like or want to share, using a social bookmarking site to store these links.
Since these tagged pages are saved online, they can be accessed anywhere, anytime with an internet connection and the right device. These bookmarks can be viewed by other members of the bookmarking website where they are stored. Examples of social bookmarking sites include Digg and Del.icio.us .
Most social bookmark services are organized by users applying “tags” or keywords to content on a Web site. This gives other users the opportunity to view bookmarks that are associated with a chosen tag, and see information about the bookmarks. The users may also be able to comment or vote on bookmarked items.
Social bookmarking is also referred to as folksonomy, collaborative tagging, social classification, social indexing, and social tagging. “Folksonomy” is a combination of the words folk and taxonomy.
Benefits of Social Bookmarking for Free Web Traffic
There are various advantages of social bookmarking to businesses.
Social bookmarking websites offer a great way to market your content and drive free consistent traffic to your website. Bookmarking your website on various social bookmarking websites can help you improve your online visibility and strengthen your SEO.
Social bookmarking is a good technique to earn backlinks, offers branding, promote, and indexing your website content fast.
Social bookmarking gives users a unique opportunity to express their own personal take on information and resources, as well as on the organization of these resources.
The process of social bookmarking allows people of similar interests and tastes to locate each other and create a sort of online-community.
The use of folksonomy as a tool for research allows you to benefit from the insights and research of other users, and this helps you find information relevant to what you are looking for, as well as topics that are not directly related (such as those that show up in key word searches).
For example if your search is based on affiliate marketing, you may also notice that other users found some connection between affiliate marketing and affiliate programs, affiliate marketing and autoresponder, affiliate marketing and hosting, affiliate marketing and affiliate products reviews and this could prove to be a valuable connection and resource for you, either personally or on a business level.
Furthermore, the collections of these folksonomies keep changing and are therefore generally up to date.
Social bookmarking also allows users to rank tags and this acts as a collaborative filter of sorts and enables you to find your most relevant results.
The Process of Social Bookmarking for Free Web Traffic
In order to create your own collection of social bookmarks or be able to view others’, you must register with the social bookmarking website in question first. The site will allow you to store bookmarks, make tags, decide upon which of your tags should be made public and which should be kept private.
Some social bookmarking will do periodic checks on the bookmarks to make sure that the links still work, and as suggested, those visiting social bookmark sites can perform searches by keywords, popularity or person.
Below are the top Twenty social bookmarking websites.
When using the social bookmarking sites below for Social Bookmarking for Free Web Traffic, there are no exact measures of traffic but these numbers no less give us some idea about the market share of each these social bookmarking players.
- www.digg.com Digg is the biggest social bookmarking website on the internet.
- www.technorati.com Technorati is another top rated social books marking website.
- http://delicious.com/.com Del.icio.us – one of the most important social bookmarking websites
- www.propeller.com Propeller is next to delicious and the fourth largest social bookmarking site
- www.stumbleupon.com StumbleUpon comes fifth and among the top five social bookmarking sites on the net.
- www.reddit.com Reddit. Is also among the top bookmarking sites.
- www.fark.com Fark is the next up is the most hilarious social bookmarking site you wl find.
- Scoop.it Scoop it is a content marketing software that allows professionals and businesses to research and publish content through its content curation tool. Users create a topic, name it and curate topics
- www.mybloglog.com MyBlogLog specializes in blogs.
- www.slashdot.org Slashdot is for the online techie folks. Its tag line goes like this ‘for nerds, things that matter’.
- www.pinterest.com Pinterest is mainly known for sharing images and GIFs and Vide
- www.kaboodle.com Kaboodle is among the top ten of the biggest social bookmarking websites online. This is aimed at those looking to buy things on the internet – shopping! You can share notes about products and stores on this website.
- http://www.furl.net/ Furl which claims to be ‘your personal web file’ allows the same features of bookmarking, tagging and sharing.
- www.clipmarks.com Clipmarks allows you to clip the highlights and shows the most popular and recent‘clippings’ from the web by submitters.
- www.mister-wong Mister Wong was one of the largest European free social-bookmarking web services. It allows its users to do their social bookmarking in several languages, so you can make use of resources that may or may not originally be yours.
- www.newsvine.com Newsvine encourages users to post the latest news items from around the world. Newsvine is a one stop shop for all kinds of news.
- www.bloglines.com Bloglines a high traffic site tracks blogs, news and feeds.
- www.blinklist.com Blinklist is a very simple and easy to use social bookmarking website for creating and sharing bookmarks.
- www.netvouz.com Netvouzis also an easy to use social bookmarking website that allows users to have their own personalized bookmark page.
- www.tumblr Tumblr is a social networking site where users can share Text, Photo, Quote, Links or even can make audio or video call.
- also an easy to use social bookmarking website that allows users to have their own personalized bookmark page.